REAL-TIME DISPLAYS - DESIGNED TO BE SOLAR POWERED
CHRONOS is our range of incredibly low powered displays that have been specifically developed to be capable of running all year round using solar power, and yet deliver better functionality than is available from equivalent grid powered units.
All CHRONOS display types are based on our own ultra low power transport computer: HERMES Lite. This module, developed entirely in house to meet our own stringent requirements, supports a range of display types, including:
- LTN-LCD – A transflective LCD which comes in different shapes and resolutions and from which we can build displays of any number of lines, with customised line lengths, and using display modules with different resolutions.
- Flip Dots – An old technology that is superb at showing large text which changes rarely. Once set, the flip dots absorb no power.
- E Ink – Used with care (it’s not suitable for some functions) it can provide useful functionality at transport sites.
Our integrated computer can not only drive a real-time display, but also a secondary e-ink panel, allowing for timetable, maps and other content to be provided.
Due to the refresh limitations of e-ink, it is currently not suitable for continual update, as panels degrade if they are on a continual, rapid refresh cycle.
Presenting the ever-changing real-time information on the larger LTN-LCD panels is preferable – also preferable – as many more customers can see the display at the same time. The LTN-LCD real-time sign (which can be mounted outside as well as inside the shelter) also serves to visibly promote the real-time information.
Reducing the amount of power systems consume ultimately leads to improved reliability as low power electronics do not radiate heat – therefore, heat-related contraction and expansion due to the power consumption of the unit is virtually eliminated.
When there is excess heat due to local weather conditions, there is enough excess solar energy to allow for fans to extract warm air. Additionally, the units themselves are designed to allow for natural convection, which also introduces cooling by airflow.
DISPLAY FORMATS AND MOUNTINGS
We don’t restrict your options. Our displays are designed to be adapted to your requirements – type, size, mountings, content, all can be adapted. We can even mix technologies in the same sign. We provide different mounting options – we have designs for all sorts of shelter and wall mounts and have even designed our own ATLAS column for free standing installation.
SOLAR POWER/GRID POWER
CHRONOS displays are designed to use solar and to make best use of the power available. To do that we designed our own power supply hardware. So we can support both easily, it’s your choice.
- Where you have grid power available, you may as well use it – these displays use less energy than an LED light bulb! So a connected display will not cost much to run.
- Where you haven’t got permanent power, but do have access to street lighting circuits, we can offer battery backed systems that charge at night and run the systems during the day.
- And if neither is available (or just too expensive to provide), our solar power hardware can run from an independent pole mounted panel or from an array mounted on the shelter roof.
These options give you the choice and help you make the best of your available budget.
ALWAYS ON, ALWAYS CONNECTED
Our signs never stop, never go to sleep, and they connect over any network (wired, mobile, WiFi). So even if solar powered, there’s no waiting while a dormant system wakes up.
Our displays connect to our servers and because they are always on, you have access to them at any time.
We can either arrange installation on your behalf or work with your team to ensure it all runs as planned first time. We have experience of installing systems in the USA and Europe, working with local contractors and working to local requirements. We supply the hardware and the training, and where necessary work with clients, contractors and specialists to ensure work is to code and certified for the locality.
Naturally we supply the displays and the associated specialist hardware. We can also provide all the related fitting hardware and solar hardware (including panels, mountings and control and monitoring electronics), and have experience of working with manufacturing shops to create any bespoke elements.
Naturally we support our clients, providing training on our software and support.
CHRONOS - EXAMPLE DISPLAYS
In common with all of our other hardware supplies, the signs are not only visually ADA compliant, they also include audio hardware and software which can render speech either as scheduled announcements or on demand – the systems support buttons as well as radio triggers.
All systems connect via our Display Administration Suite (DAS). The DAS provides clients with monitoring tools showing status and content as well as tools for messaging, calling pattern display management, adjustment of audio pronunciation etc.